Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Let's go to Espoo! (pronounced Espo)

So a lot of good news this week!

Our investigator S is getting baptized this Saturday!! He'll be getting baptized in the Espoo chapel, since Nietsytpolku doesn't have a baptismal font. We are way excited for him! I can't believe how the gospel can change people, four weeks ago he had an entirely different religion and didn't even believe in Christ! I think that has been the most rewarding part of being a missionary, not necessarily the baptism part, but seeing the Spirit of the Lord soften the hearts of others. 

My favorite part is asking our investigator to give the closing prayer after our first lesson with them. Usually they'll shy away from it or even say they are too scared. But in the end, when we kneel together and they offer their first prayer out loud, I feel the Spirit so strongly testify to me that this is what my mission is about. It's not about numbers or about being "successful" it's about bringing the Spirit into the lives of others. 

I've had a lot of doors slammed in my face this week, and I've had a lot of people say no before I can even open my mouth to say hello.

But I've also felt Heavenly Father's love for me and it's carried me through all of those moments! 

Funny story: 
So we're teaching S the lesson on temple marriages and ordinances, anyway, the lesson is going pretty slowly, we can tell that we've been doing way too much talking because his eyes start getting droopy. And so Sister Kwok decides to throw in a commitment to keep him involved with the conversation. It goes like this:

Me: So S_____ after what we've talked about temples and the ordinances that are performed in them, will you commit to being married in the temple? 

*the whole room goes silent* 

S: I'm sorry...what did you say? 

Me (realizing now that I probably could've stated it in a better way): Yeah... will you be married in the temple? 

S: Like...soon? Or what, right now? 

Me: Well no! Like-- well-- Of cour-- Yeah, just whene-- Whenever you meet that special someone!

S: I'm sorry, I'm still confused.

Sister Hayter: I think what we mean is will you prepare yourself to one day be married in the temple? 

By this point in the lesson the poor guy looks so confused, he just slowly nods and turns to look at his member friend and they start speaking in rapid Turkish. 

This is just proof that the Lord chooses small and simple things to get things done. 

I hope you've all had a good week! Embrace the fall...winter is coming!!! 
Siunauksia teille! 
Sisar Kwok 
We fail at selfies.


​Good ol' Dennis! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment